Office of Outreach and Engagement
UGA as Land-grant and Sea-grant University
A core characteristic of UGA is a commitment to excellence in public service, economic development, and technical assistance activities designed to address the strategic needs of the state of Georgia along with a comprehensive offering of continuing education designed to meet the needs of Georgia's citizens in life-long learning and professional education.
Carnegie Community Engagement Classification
In 2010, UGA was recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for its institutional commitment to community engagement through teaching, research and public service with the Community Engagement Classification. UGA is one of 115 colleges and universities to achieve this elective classification in 2010 and joins the ranks of only 311 institutions nationally.
Public Health Mission
The mission of the College of Public Health is to promote health in human populations through innovative research, exemplary education, and engaged service dedicated to preventing disease and injury within the state and around the world. The Office of Outreach and Community Engagement (OCE) supports the college’s mission by conducting activities to improve the health of Georgia’s citizens and their communities by partnering with academics, organizations and stakeholders to provide educational, research and training opportunities to individuals and communities throughout the state.
To accomplish our mission, The Office of Outreach and Engagement:
- Provides high quality online and face-to-face courses for the public health workforce
- Works with university and community partners to bridge academia and practice
- Coordinates and disseminates community-based research
- Provides technical assistance to communities for a variety of activities
- Acts as a champion for community-based health initiatives
- Archway/CPH Public Health Professionals - A cadre of public health professionals are located across the state with a unique purpose of bridging community public health needs with University resources.
- State of Public Health Conference
- UGA Public Health Leadership Academy
- Community Projects