Application to Ph.D. program
in Health Promotion
Application Process for PhD in Health Promotion
Applications are considered in their entirety before making admission decisions.
Before enrolling in the Ph.D. program, students must have a masters degree from an accredited institution.
In general, the following minimum admissions criteria are recommended: A minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Minimum GRE scores of 1000 (combined verbal and quantitative) for previous GRE reporting. For approximate equivalents to new GRE scoring, please see the Educational Testing Service website http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/concordance_information.pdf. GRE Scores must be within the last five years.
*Students with only a bachelors degree will NOT be accepted into the Ph.D. program. No exceptions will be given.*
The application process to The University of Georgia requires two steps:
- The applicant must apply to the Graduate School. Please visit http://www.uga.edu/gradschool/admissions/requirements.html for more details on Graduate School policies and procedures. The application to the Graduate School must be done online. No paper materials will be provided.
Application to the Graduate School
- Graduate School online application: http://www.uga.edu/gradschool/admissions/requirements.html
- Application processing fee
- Two official transcript/academic records from each institution where a degree was conferred (International applicants: two sets of official academic records and proof of degrees)
- Official GRE scores sent by the testing agency (UGA institutional code for ETS reporting: 5813) http://www.gre.org
- 3 letters of recommendation (part of the online application)
- Application for Georgia residence status (if claiming legal residence in Georgia)
- Statement of Purpose
International Applicants - additional information needed:
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores sent by testing agency http://www.TOEFL.org
- Certificate of Finances (COF) form
- Visa Information
- The applicant must apply to the Health Promotion and Behavior Department.
- Complete Departmental Application to the Health Promotion and Behavior PhD Program.
- Email curriculum vitae or resume (pdf or MS Word format) to Meagan Gravitt at email@example.com.
- SOPHAS applications are not accepted for the PhD program. You must complete the departmental application.
The Graduate School application and the Department of Health Promotion and Behavior application must be received by January 16, 2015.
All application materials must be in by the deadline to be considered for an assistantship.
Can I stop by to meet with someone about the program?
If you are interested in speaking with a faculty member in the department, please email them to schedule a time for a meeting or phone conversation.
Is it possible to speak with current students before applying?
If you would like to speak with current students in the Health Promotion and Behavior Program please email the request to firstname.lastname@example.org, and Meagan Gravitt will connect you with some of our current students.
Do I need a master's degree prior to applying for a doctoral program in the department?
All students must have a masters degree from an accredited institution.
Is an MPH required for admission to the PhD program?
An MPH is not required, however if you do not have an MPH some masters courses may be required before beginning doctoral studies.
What official transcripts do I need to send?
· Domestic – Submit two (2) official transcripts in sealed envelopes from each institution of higher education where a degree was earned to the University of Georgia Graduate School.
· International – Submit two (2) official transcripts (official academic records and certified English translations, if applicable) from each institution of higher education attended to the University of Georgia Graduate School.
Does the department offer graduate/research assistantships?
While we try to offer assistantships to each accepted student, it is not always possible. Assistantships are very competitive and are awarded based on the applicant pool. To be fully considered you must have all application materials submitted by the priority deadline listed on the website.
Is there an interview process?
Yes, leading candidates are interviewed to determine fit to program and faculty mentors.
What are the tuition and fees?
What is the typical time to complete the program?
It varies from student to student, but typically full-time students complete the program in 4 years.
Is this an online program?
No, the majority of required courses are offered in-class only.
Do you accept part-time students?
Yes, we do accept part time students, but all classes are located in Athens and offered during the day. Students must have a flexible schedule in order to attend classes and complete the program in a reasonable time frame.
What are the minimum requirements for GRE scores?
300 on the new scale. 1000 on the old scale.
Is there any criteria considered over another when reviewing applicants?
We take into account GRE scores, GPA, Letters of Recommendation, personal statement, CV, prior work experience, and program fit. These are all considered when deciding if an applicant is an acceptable candidate for our program. We consider all applicant materials and do not necessarily weigh one over the other.
What is the program of study?